Our 9th successful environmental camp in the South Bronx, producing a camper and staff written play, "The Decision" about climate change and how to draw from nature's wise animals - performed in two locations. This piece incorporates the teaching of Native American historian and Mic Mac elder Evan Pritchard in 2013's camp with camp directors Kate Temple-West's background in theater direction and playwriting and Aresh Javadi's background in collaborative community arts education. Long-time camp counsellor and More Gardens! member Leroy Huston was also instrumental in bringing this work to the world. Campers chose their animals, wrote their lines, created the story together with the staff, and made masks of their animals. This is a work-in-progress, so stay tuned for more performances!
Description: Rise up and Green the Bronx! Free Summer Camp 2014 at Padre Plaza Garden runs throughout July, including the July 4th weekend Upstate Camping with parent/guardian!
Come join our exciting camp for 10-14 years olds! Free for all!
The camp offers Free Organic Lunch and Snacks
The Summer Youth Camp will:
Grow plants to improve lung health!
Learn all about the different wild life!
Visit butterflies and their environments!
Canoe, Yoga, Sing, Swim, tree climb!
Make art, giant puppets, have a parade and so much more!
Description of Our Program!
Environmental, Health and Food Justice
• Planting neighborhood trees
• Growing fresh vegetables and medicinal herbs
• Creative workshops on environmental health and food justice
• Cooking and learning healthy eating for and by campers, parents, staff
Advanced Learning, and Development Skills. Through games and creative collaborations campers, parents and junior counselors learn:
• Nature awareness
• Physical Education such as swimming, tree climbing, canoeing
• Native American History and Culture
• Team building
• Social and Political Engagement
Community Building, Empowerment, and Strengthening Families: Campers and their families return year after year, strengthening ties, and share positive experiences.
• We will partner with Be Present Organization whose transformative workshops and staff training provide tools for dialogue & practice on the impact of race, gender, class, & power issues on well-being, effectiveness and sustainability.
For more Information!
Aresh Javadi - Co-Director, 917-518-9987, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kate Temple-West - Co-Director 917-548-9306, email@example.com
Leroy Huston - Coordinator, (718) 993-3519, firstname.lastname@example.org