Internships - non-paying
Internship Program: New York City Community Gardens 2010
Contact Person: Aresh Javadi
key population serviced:
1. Summer Camp Environmental Educational Assistant
2. La Finca del Sur Urban Farm Project in the South Bronx:
3. Creating and working on city wide Legislation to protect and create new community
4. Fun-drasing & Grant-writing
Summer 2010 contact persons:
1- Environmental Education/Summer Camp: Leroy Huston
1. Environmental Education Summer Camp: Planning activities and working at Padre Plaza community garden through July with 8-12 year olds in in the South Bronx.
2. Permaculture Gardening: Maintaining communal plots and outreaching to the neighborhood.
3. Legal/ Research: Monitoring the status of endangered community gardens and learning the intricacies of Land Use Review Process, which proceeds evictions and displacement. Garden preservation lawsuits.
4: Bioremediation/ Alternative Energy: Using low tech (hands on) methods to de-toxify and build sustainable systems in community controlled land in the South Bronx.
6: Puppetry/ Murals: Collaborative and politically relevant art projects during the Summer Camp with 8-12 year olds and outside. Public Art.
7. Grantwriting: Writing and editing grants for More Gardens! Coalition, and our allies.
8. Sustainable Carpentrys: Work in the South Bronx Community Garden/Farm to complete our greenhouse, stage, and bed projects. Also work on rainwater catchment, possible future projects on bicycle parade carts, and pedal powered generators.
9. Sustainable Design: Working with a team of architects, planners, and community people to develop and actualize a new community center for the South Bronx with green building features and open space.
10. Community Organizing: Bringing together the South Bronx grassroots organizations. Community outreach to gardeners and garden advocates. Working with the South Bronx United Gardeners (SBUG) to maintain and increase their momentum.
11. Urban Planning: Mapping potential community green spaces in the South Bronx. Working with Harlem United Gardens to make the gardens permanent and enhance their sustainability.